Welcome
Welcome to Vision and Spex, a forum similar to Eyescene

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

How to keep prevent glasses sliding down from my nose?

<<

amy

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:57 am

How to keep prevent glasses sliding down from my nose?

I bought a plastic frame glasses with my -7 lenses in. But it is a lot heavier than my previous rimless glasses, it keep on sliding down from my nose. I feel very annoying. How to keep them stay properly on my nose? Do you guys have the same problem? How to solve this? Do u use a rubber string or something to tie it to the back of the head?
<<

GOCer

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:35 am

Re: How to keep prevent glasses sliding down from my nose?

I've become a fan of cable temples lately, and have been adding conversions to my frames. The conversions don't work with many plastic frames though. For the plastic frames, I adjust the earpieces to hug my ears pretty tightly on frames that I wear often - you can get them to be pretty stable but everyone has different levels of tolerance for snugness.
Last edited by GOCer on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Yoyo

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 am

Some opticians are also able to attach nose pads to plastic frames, which works particularly well for those who have small and/or flat noses.
<<

amy

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm

The optician say nose pad doesnot look good. It can be seen quite obvious, is that true?
<<

soundmanpt

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:25 pm

I have seen many people come in with the same problem as you. Like "GOCer" suggested you can go to any optical shop and they should be able to adjust the ear pieces a little more snug behind your ears. Also since you wear your glasses full time have them tighten the screws that hold the temples (arms) to the face as that should snug them a bit as well and when you remove your glasses at night don't fold them closed but instead leave them open so as not to cause the screws to loosen up. It is true the add on nose pads might work but they do show and I'm sure you wouldn't like the appearance of your glasses with them. Your glasses should not be so heavy to cause such a problem for you. I'm quite sure they will be able to get them adjust for you. That being said like many others you may need to get them tightened every so often depending on weather conditions etc. If your in an area that gets quite warm and you have plastic frames they will tend to stretch from the heat more often.
<<

Yoyo

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 pm

amy wrote:The optician say nose pad doesnot look good. It can be seen quite obvious, is that true?

Really depends on the glasses themselves, what they look like, and how you feel about the look of the pads. There's no one good answer to that question -- it's a subjective aesthetic thing.

First option would probably be to try and make the glasses more snug behind the ears. Speaking for myself, I usually have trouble with that, as I have a pretty wide head and some bony "ridges" that stick out at the temple and behind the ear that usually annoy me if the arm is too tight, so I might need to go with the pads. It depends on how much tightness you can stand.
<<

Melyssa

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:05 pm

1. A few months ago, one my new glasses was a bit on the loose side, and the opticians then made the necessary adjustments, and it has fit fine ever since.

B. When I do strenuous physical exercise, I wear a strap to hold whatever eyewear I wear at the time in place until the activity has concluded.
<<

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 am

amy wrote:I bought a plastic frame glasses with my -7 lenses in. But it is a lot heavier than my previous rimless glasses, it keep on sliding down from my nose. I feel very annoying. How to keep them stay properly on my nose? Do you guys have the same problem? How to solve this? Do u use a rubber string or something to tie it to the back of the head?

not very annoying... sliding down on your nose , you can still see normally.
<<

Mylene

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 am

i go for metal frames that have the rubber nosepieces, as my glasses are also very heavy.
Its annoying when they keep slipping, and i have prisms in mine, so important i look through the centre of the lenses to see clearly. My reading pair are heavier but again rubber nosepads hold them up well
Mylene
<<

John S

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:10 am

Most of my pairs are metal frames. I bend the temples in to snug the side of my face tighter. You have to be careful not to crack a lens. I bend the earpieces around the back of my ears. Not quite as much as a cable temple.

I have a pair with plastic temples and metal frame. They fit nice and snug with no modification.

When I get chance, I will scan some of the frames and post the pictures.
<<

Specs4ever

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:11 pm

I have a couple of pairs of wire frame glasses that I got from Optical 4 less last year. They have little rubber legs on the back of the earpieses that press on the back of my ear. I didn't think I would like them at first, but I have gotten used to them and I now think they are great. They really do help keep the glasses in place.
<<

Dave09

Post Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 pm

I have a pair of glasses I mainly use when running. I had the optician tighten them, so I don't have a problem.
<<

Andrew

Post Thu May 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I find the bounce of glasses when running intensely annoying so usually run in CLs.
<<

Steve

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:39 pm

I always had the sliding problem when I had plastic frames, but when I got my first pair of metal framed glasses, the problem was very much reduced.
I think the sprung side hinges and the hinged rubber nose pads on my present glasses also help. I managed to get the nose pads adjusted so they were just right.
They are a snug comfortable fit and a pleasure to wear

Return to Myopia - shortsightedness