Welcome
Welcome to Vision and Spex, a forum similar to Eyescene

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Hearing Aids / Glasses

<<

John S

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 am

Hearing Aids / Glasses

Val:

Would you object to opening a new section for people that wear hearing aids and glasses?

Thanks
John
<<

agilpro1976

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:38 am

Re: Hearing Aids / Glasses

John S wrote:A OT story that is kind of related, since the discussion was what people noticed with different types of glasses. I wear Nike semi-rimless frames with plus progressive lenses. Distance rx is a ~+1.50.

In my early 50's, my hearing loss had progressed enough I had no choice but to start wearing hearing aids. I don't know if anyone else that hangs out here also does. Glasses usually correct your vision pretty well. Hearing aids help, but you can never expect normal hearing with them.

They are kind of like glasses frames/lenses, but obviously there are a lot more to them due the severity and of the type of loss you have. The only giveaway to how bad you hearing is, if they are large, that person probably has a profound loss (>100db). I guess that would equate to myodisks in the optical world.

My loss is considered severe. The type I like to wear are water resistant, and are of a medium size. I used to wear smaller ones, then I decided to start wearing the water resistant type that are a little larger. They were a light Gray color. I saw the same series of aids on ebay, that were a transparent Blue color. I know they are popular with kids, but I thought they would look cool, and they would get noticed. Just like the neon colors that kids and some adults get frames in now. What's the difference, they both sit on your ear. Glasses or hearing aids can be a fashion statement now days. Beige aids mean you are trying to hide them. You might as well tell everyone you have them. I think they look dull.

So I get them and I program them up. I went to get an impression made for a new ear mold, I had it made in Black. I could tell the guy was surprised I wanted a Black mold. They come in any color you can imagine now. I thought between the color of the aids, and the Black mold in my ear, everyone would notice them. The idea was to make sure no one makes the sound of a church mouse and expects me to hear them. I wanted them to be noticed. You would normally expect someone with a -25 rx probably doesn't see 20/20. Same idea.

My hair covers about half of my hearing aids, but you can definitely see them. I asked one of the guys at work if he notices the ear mold, he is 31. Nope, I had to point it out to him. Of course, this is the same person I asked if he noticed a kid at fast food restaurant that had a Orange shirt and metal rim glasses that had the exact same shade of Orange covering on the temples. He didn't, so maybe this was a invalid test. He seems like a sharp guy, so I don't get it.

OOs notice frames and rxs, and some people don't even notice if you have a plus or a minus rx. I just don't get it.

John,

I also wear hearing aids and have also been wearing them since my early 50's.

I was originally diagnosed with a HF hearing loss at the age of 10, and told to protect my hearing that I had left, but hearing aids would be in my future. This was in 1968, and I was able to put off getting HA's until 2011, although I know now I could of used them probably 10 years earlier.

I would probably not have them today, if I hadn't tried on my sisters HA's and in an instant realized my hearing was pretty bad and I was missing a lot and I immediately made an appointment to get my hearing tested. With glasses my fears over road my desire to wear them and kept me from telling my parents and those around me I needed glasses and it kept me from getting them until I was 22, even though I knew I needed them while in high school. However, with hearing aids I had no fear of telling family or friends I was getting HA's and I have never tried to hide my HA's and actually have no problem telling anyone that I wear hearing aids and I'm sure my experience getting glasses and facing my fears is what was behind it.

I have a mild, to sever, to profound loss and wear BTE aids. I have a pair that have earhooks with full molds and one pair that are RIC's with micro molds. Once I got my aids I soon realized that it wasn't like getting glasses: people notice glasses right away and make comments and compliment you on how they look, with hearing aids, even with a full mold, people simply didn't notice I was wearing them, with a few exceptions: children, people who wear HA's and those that need HA's or are looking at getting HA's, other than that nobody noticed or cared that I was wearing hearing aids. I think it's similar for Those of us who wear glasses we always know or at least I do, how many people around me or in a room are wearing glasses and I feel a connection to them and I feel the same with those wearing hearing aids, it has to do with having something in common and experiencing something that those that don't wear glasses or hearing aids will never experience. I know from talking to friends who don't wear glasses, that they have no idea how many people in a room had glasses, but I can tell them how many there were, where they were sitting and if they were nearsighted or farsighted.
Last edited by agilpro1976 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

val

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:27 am

It seems that what I actualy did is not what I wanted.

And the original posts are not available anymore.

I apologize, but that's what happened.
<<

John S

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:21 am

Stuff happens. No big deal.

Thanks!
<<

John S

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:53 am

I'll start the new topic with the post I had made in Psychology of Glasses, with a few additions. From what I can remember, I'll try to re-create my other post in a few days.

I wear Nike semi-rimless frames with plus progressive lenses. My rx is +1.50, -0.75 add +3.50.

In my early 50's, my hearing loss had progressed enough that I had no choice but to start wearing hearing aids. I don't know if anyone else that hangs out here also does. Glasses usually correct your vision pretty well. Hearing aids help, but you can never expect normal hearing with them.

They are kind of like frames/lenses, but obviously there are a lot more to them due the severity and of the type of loss you have. The only giveaway to how bad you hearing is, if they are large, that person probably has a profound loss (>100db). I guess that would equate to myodisks in the optical world. There are several styles. BTE/RIC, ITC, CIC, BAHA and Body Aids. If you are really vain, ITC (in the canal) are for you. They are like contact lenses for your ears.

My loss is considered severe. The type I like to wear are BTE (behind the ear) aids that are water resistant, and are of a medium size. I used to wear smaller ones, then I decided to start wearing the water resistant type that are a little larger. They were a light Gray color. I saw the same series of aids on ebay, that were a transparent Blue color. I know they are popular with kids, but I thought they would look cool, and they would get noticed. Just like the neon colors that kids and some adults get in frames now. What's the difference? They both sit on your ear. Glasses or hearing aids can be a fashion statement now days. Beige aids mean you are trying to hide them. You might as well tell everyone you have them. I think any color other than beige is better.

So I get them and I program them up. I went to get an impression made for a new ear mold, I had it made in Black. I could tell the guy was surprised that I wanted a Black mold. They come in any color you can imagine now. I thought between the color of the aids, and the Black mold in my ear, everyone would notice them. The idea was to make sure no one makes the sound of a church mouse and expects me to hear them. I wanted them to be noticed. You would normally expect someone with a -25 rx probably doesn't see 20/20. Same idea.

My hair covers about half of my hearing aids, but you can definitely see them. I asked one of the guys that works with me if he notices the ear mold, he is 31. Nope, I had to point it out to him. Of course, this is the same person I asked if he noticed a kid at fast food restaurant that had a Orange shirt and metal rim glasses that had the exact same shade of Orange covering on the temples. He didn't, so maybe this was a invalid test. He seems like a sharp guy, so I don't get it.

OOs notice frames and rxs, and some people don't even notice if you have a plus or a minus rx. I just don't get it.
<<

agilpro1976

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm

John,
I see are previous posts were lost in the move. Oh well those things happen.

As I said before I too am in my 50's and wear glasses and hearing aids. I understand your confusion about people not being able to see what we do, but I have been able to explain it to others.

I was originally diagnosed with a HF hearing loss when I was 10, and told to protect my hearing because once it was lost it was gone forever. So I always protected my hearing by not going to concerts, shooting guns and if I used anything that was to loud i used ear protection. When I was 52, I asked my sister if I could try on her hearing aids and was astonished by what I was not hearing and made an appointment for a hearing test the next day. The audiogram revealed that my hearing was still in the normal range up to 1,000HZ, but then it dipped into the mild/moderate range in the mid frequencies and then went into the severe/profound range from 3-8,000Hz. The audiologist told me my hearing loss happened after I learned to speak because if it had happened before, I would be speaking like a deaf person! She told me I would definitely benefit from HA's and I have been wearing BTE's since.

Because glasses are so visible and impossible to hide, people notice them right away and comment on them when you first get them and you feel funny wearing them. When I first started wearing glasses I too was self conscious and embarrassed to be seen wearing them at first, but it soon went away when I realized that no one cared that I was wearing glasses.
However, those of us who wear glasses tend to notice others who also wear glasses, when I am out somewhere I can tell you how many people were wearing glasses in a room and if they were nearsighted or farsighted, this could also be because I have always had an interest in wearing glasses, but from talking to other glasses wearers I think it's pretty common. When talking to friends who don't wear glasses or who have never worn glasses they don't seem to notice us after they get used to seeing us in glasses.

Hearing aids on the other hand are largely hidden from view and most people don't seem to notice them because they don't look at peoples ears when they are speaking to them. There are exceptions of course: children do seem to notice, as do other HA wearers and those that are looking into getting HA's, other than that nobody else seems to notice. When I got my first pair of BTE hearing aids I thought they were very visible because they had large standard tubes and a full size earmold going into each ear, BUT NOBODY NOTICED! Now this was even with the fact that I had told basically everyone I knew I was getting HA's before I got them, so friends knew I was getting HA's and they didn't even notice! After getting them and wearing them for weeks I actually had friends ask me when was I going to get my hearing aids? When I told a few of them I had been wearing them for weeks and had them in my ears, they didn't believe me and for a few I had to remove them and prove to them I was wearing HA's. So it probably has a lot to do with the fact that not many people look at your ears when speaking to you and if they don't wear HA's themselves they are even less apt to notice.

One benefit we had from going through the process of getting used to wearing glasses is we are less apt to be embarrassed by wearing hearing aids or being seen wearing hearing aids because we know what it's already like to wear something that makes us different. At least that was the way it was for me, I had absolutely no problem wearing my HA's and being seen wearing HA's because I had learned through wearing glasses that nobody really cares you are wearing something after they see you for the first time, so I embraced my hearing aids like I had done with my glasses years ago and went on with my life.
<<

John S

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:47 am

In my 20s, I had a bad ear infection in my left ear that was caused by a hole in my eardrum. The doctor thought it would just be skin graft to repair it. It turned out the infection was a lot worse when he got in there. I believe he had to remove 2 bones. He replaced one of the bones with piece of cartilage to conduct the sound, or I would have been almost deaf in that ear.

After the operation my hearing was normal up to 3000. I don't remember the exact curve, but it was pretty bad at 8000. My right ear still had normal hearing at the time. In my 40s, the cartilage must have become disconnected for some reason. My hearing loss really increased in my left ear. At the same time, I noticed hearing loss in my right ear caused by nerve degradation. I think it was caused by the steroids/antibiotics I was putting in my left ear to control the infections. I have read studies that show that hearing loss is a common side effect from the drugs. I was fortunate to learn how to minimize the infections. So I have not needed to use any medication in a few years.

In my early 50s, I got a hearing aid for my left ear. I had to wear an open fit dome to keep air circulation.
I got one for my right ear about a year later. I wear a power dome or a mold in my right ear.

They have become a part of my life, just like glasses have.
<<

agilpro1976

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:56 am

If your missing the bones in your middle ear and have no sensorineural component to your loss than you will have a hearing loss of about 60dB and it can be brought to almost normal levels with HA's. The fact that you were put on antibiotics to clear up the infection probably caused your sensorineural loss in the HF because they were ototoxic.

In Dec 2012, I fell off a roof and landed on my head and left shoulder and broke two vertabra in my back, four ribs, got blood clots in my lungs, a concussion, and pneumonia. I got up from the fall, found my hearing aid that had gone in the bushes, picked up my streamer, phone and called my wife, who called 911. I spent a week in the hospital and three months in bed and made a complete recovery, I was lucky! For the pneumonia, I was put on an antibiotic that turned out to be ototoxic and I lost further hearing in my high frequencies, but with an adjustment at the audiologist I still hear about the same.

As for something becoming a part of our lives, I have surprised the sister who let me try on her HA's twice in her life that she still has trouble believing today. The first was when I got glasses, she thought I would never wear them around people because of how shy I was, but I not only wore them, but embraced them and became less shy through the process of getting used to wearing glasses. What she didn't know until I finally told her was I was never going to have a problem wearing glasses because I had a desire to wear them from the day she got hers when I was five years old and always wanted to wear them. The second time was when I got my hearing aids. She again thought I was going to have problems wearing HA's, but I told her I would have no problems because I had already gone through the same process when I first got my glasses and knew nobody would care that I was wearing hearing aids. I actually wear my hearing aids more than she wears hers: mine are in my ears almost as long as I wear my glasses, I put them in soon after I get up and take them out just before I go to bed, she on the other hand only wears hers when she thinks she will need them and has hearing comprehension issues because her brain has never relearned to hear what she was missing because it is getting mixed signals because she isn't a full time wearer. I have tried multiple times to tell her that if she only wore her HA's like she wears her glasses(full time), she would be better off, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears! Sorry for the pun, I couldn't resist.
<<

John S

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:52 pm

I have a sensorineural loss in both ears. My left also has a bone conduction loss. For about 10 years the cartilage seemed to make and break connection. I measured it, it was about a 25db difference. It was certainly enough to take notice of. It seemed to coincide with pressure in my ear.

Something I have never understood. When my hearing aids boot up and put out tones, sometimes the level of the tones in both ears are soft, and sometimes they are much louder. Not that I would have believed it was the hearing aids, but it has happened on several different sets of aids. The level is always the same in both ears, but the overall level in both ears change as if something is causing the electrical level from the nerves to change going to the brain, or inside the brain. I know it sounds weird, but it happens.

I could post my audiograms from the self test in my hearing aids, but the images show up really small for some reason. I will try to send them to as a PM.
<<

Specs4Me

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57 pm

I've worn hearing aids for about 18 years now, got them when i was 50 or 51. Started with ITCs which i really didn't like much, graduated to a full shell for a while then moved to BTEs. I'm now wearing Resound Alera's, they have the speaker in the ear which i like. Mine are high powered at this point, i don't remember the db of loss at the various frequencies; however, my most severe loss is in the higher ones. As an example, without my hearing aids i can't hear the microwave beep to tell me my food is done when i'm standing right next to it, but i can hear the hum of the operating mechanism while it cooks (only if standing right next to the unit however). Gotta tell you, i do like the silence when I'm home alone and don't have my HAs in, when I take them out at night my wife gets frustrated because I can't hear her very well.
<<

deafdirk

Post Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:48 pm

Hello everyone, here a 51 year old Berliner.
I wear glasses and hearing aids all my life. I have myopia -6 dpt, bifocal glasses with 4 prism out both eyes. I´m profoundly deaf in both ears 90-100 dB hearing loss, I´m legally deaf. Wear superpower hearing aids with full shell molds in both ears all the time. I depend on glasses and hearing aids anytime.
<<

prismHA

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:31 am

Hello,
New here. I have just been given first hearing aids, open fit. I am 35, most of the loss is in high frequencies.
I also wear prisms. Actually just getting new glasses now. Waiting for them to arrive.
<<

agilpro1976

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:13 am

prismHA wrote:Hello,
New here. I have just been given first hearing aids, open fit. I am 35, most of the loss is in high frequencies.
I also wear prisms. Actually just getting new glasses now. Waiting for them to arrive.

How long have you had hearing loss or did you just find out you have it? How bad is your hearing loss, what is your audiogram numbers?
<<

prismHA

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:48 pm

My loss is 30 db at 250 hz and 500 hz, 40 db at 1000 hz, 50 db at 2000 hz, 80 at 4000 and 70 at 8000. It is a bit worse in the left ear.
This is the first time I had a test. Obviously I had problems for a while but did not get tested before.
<<

agilpro1976

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:30 am

prismHA wrote:My loss is 30 db at 250 hz and 500 hz, 40 db at 1000 hz, 50 db at 2000 hz, 80 at 4000 and 70 at 8000. It is a bit worse in the left ear.
This is the first time I had a test. Obviously I had problems for a while but did not get tested before.

With your loss you should probably be in a custom earmold or at the very least double domes if you aren't already. Yes, you probably have had hearing loss for years, but sadly, most people and medical doctors don't take hearing loss seriously.

Return to Hearing aids and glasses