Welcome
Welcome to Vision and Spex, a forum similar to Eyescene

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Tiger Woods

<<

EtherealTurtle

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:17 am

Tiger Woods

Some years ago, I remember what I think was a radio ad for LASIK by Tiger Woods where he talks about what a pain it was dealing with all the problems like losing or having to clean your glasses (can't remember exactly what he said). In addition to wishing I had some recording of this ad, I read that his nickname in college was "Urkel" and he used to wear big glasses. Yet I cannot find a single young photo of him wearing eyeglasses. My guess is that he probably wore contacts most of the time. Does anyone have the radio ad or a young Tiger glasses picture somewhere? (I have found some photos in sunglasses, but I was thinking more of the regular kind.)
<<

Julian

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:22 am

Re: Tiger Woods

I once read somewhere that before Tiger Woods had LASIK his Rx was -10 or thereabouts. It would certainly be interesting to know more and to see a picture
<<

EtherealTurtle

Post Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:02 am

Re: Tiger Woods

Julian wrote:I once read somewhere that before Tiger Woods had LASIK his Rx was -10 or thereabouts. It would certainly be interesting to know more and to see a picture

I thought I remembered reading -11.

Managed to find this video where (will cue up at 2:40) there is a short clip of him playing golf as an older child with big glasses:
https://youtu.be/7EBUcDpx1W4?t=2m40s

At some point he must have decided on wearing contacts instead. Apparently he also had to overcome a stutter, too.

Update: Found this article including the TLC laser eye center ad text:
http://gizmodo.com/5403322/racing-on-carbon-fiber-legs-how-abled-should-we-be

"For years I played golf with an invisible handicap, invisible to everyone but me. It was my contact lenses. My eyes would sting burn and water all the while I was trying to concentrate on championship golf. I had the Lasik procedure with a TLC laser eye center surgeon and the results were fabulous. I'm 20/20 with no contacts. My vision is so crisp I feel I can read all the subtleties of the green and look down the fairway hundreds of yards and focus perfectly on the fly. I'm very happy with the results, and grateful for my TLC center experience."

As the article points out, it's weird he (or whoever wrote the ad) considered his handicap to be the contacts, not poor vision. This is a source in support of the -11 diopter argument, too.

Return to People in the media or entertainment business