Welcome
Welcome to Vision and Spex, a forum similar to Eyescene

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

my RX history

<<

Astigmat

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:03 pm

my RX history

I don't know if this is common, but from my early teens on I had anRX that I am guessing was +1.25 cyl right and +.50 cyl left. I was also a latent hyperope,
but it didn't evidence itself until presbyopia set in.

I had cataract surgery on my left eye on 27 Jan 2011. The manual keratometry that was done prior to surgery indicated +3.00 cyl left and the only
explanation was my lens was also astigmatic and acted like a toric IOL to neutralize almost all of it. After surgery, I am +2.50D cyl x155 in that eye
and it seems stable more than 2 years after surgery.

I wonder if anyone on here has experienced anything similar.

Kathi Backus Santa Barbara, CA USA
<<

Zennia

Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:38 am

Re: my RX history

I wish I had an answer for you Kathi, but my astigmatism (OD -0.75 cyl, OS-1.00 cyl, both 180 deg) resides all in the cornea and developed between about the ages of 19 to 25.
<<

Astigmat

Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:51 pm

I am sure that it has happened to other people, but I have not found any info online. I am + 1.25x20 in the right eye and assume that it is all corneal.
If I ever have cataract surgery on it, I will find out. Unlike my left eye, the right one has never gone cloudy.
<<

jennifer jacqueline

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi Zennia. What a coincidence! I have astigmatism as well, but I don't understand what astigmatism is or what the prescription means. Apparently my right eye is: sph -2; cyl -1; axis 114 and my left eye is the same except for the axis which is 80. I noticed that I couldn't see the black board very well when I was 15 so I went to an optician ( a very handsome older man :D ) and he said that I was a little bit short sighted and had a light astigmatism and I would see the blackboard with glasses. And of course he was right. I am 24 now and it has got worse, and I wear my glasses all the time. I wish I had kept my old prescriptions, but of course I didn't know that it was going to get worse, or that I would join a forum like this to find out why men were so excited and aroused by my glasses.
<<

Zennia

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm very sorry to tell you this dear and I hope you don't mind my saying so too much, but it is not only men who become excited and aroused by how pretty you look in your glasses! <3 Although I can only speak for myself I am sure, well almost sure, that there are at least two other ladies on here who indeed will look at you picture with a similar interest as I am equally positive that if a good-looking young man with glasses posted his picture here there are a few men who would take great interest in him too. Are you sure that you don't have an interest in men who wear glasses or isn't it possible that you'd like to wear much stronger glasses yourself and that is really why you joined this site? I hope you are not too shocked dear!

Bisous!
<<

jennifer jacqueline

Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Oooooh Zennia, thank you :oops: I honestly don't think I especially like men in glasses because I think glasses are very feminine and make men look weak, (I hope I'm not being rude). But I think glasses look lovely on girls and I have noticed that several girls on here like other girls in glasses, Although this is not why I joined I am starting to get a funny feeling inside:? You seem very clever and know so much about eyes Zennia, do you think I will go on always needing stronger glasses?
I would like that if it made me prettier :D

(What does bisous mean?)
<<

nic

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 am

Jennifer jacqueline.
Stronger lenses can make a person look more attractive,as far as I am concerned ,it is how your eyes look behind the lenses.
A proper attractive frame with the right lenses , makes all the difference , and any man or women can look fantastic.
You are as pretty as you feel, wearing glasses gives you confidence , and will make you feel pretty and be a proud glasses wearer.
<<

aniketp08

Post Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello guys
Wearing glasses doesn't make anyone weak or strong,its just abt u feeling comfortable and obviously a clear vision. I as u all also had a fantasy of owning a pair of glasses and I own one now and I am very comfortable wearing them
<<

aniketp08

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Hii zenia and Jacqueline I am 25 and I too have astigmatism and I m quite new to it. Do you need to wear glasses continuously?? Or when u need them the most.
<<

Cactus Jack

Post Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:43 am

Astigmatism affects Visual Acuity at ALL distances. Very mild Astigmatism can make reading small text difficult, but a person may be able to function without correction as long and the text is not too small. Above a Cylinder correction of about +/- 0.50, it can become very fatiguing to read because your brain will try to focus the images, but it is not possible for the eye to have two focus points.

Astigmatism causes the lines (strokes) that make up letters to have different focus points. The sharpness of a stroke depends on the direction the stroke and the Axis of the Astigmatism. Most people with any appreciable Astigmatism find full time wear to be the best solution.

The only thing that makes it possible to function with uncorrected Astigmatism is that vision actually occurs i the brain, the eyes are merely biological cameras. If your brain knows what something is supposed to look like it can correct a slightly blurry image.

Cactus
<<

jennifer jacqueline

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Is it possible to put in an IOL to induce astigmatism? JJ x
<<

maxim

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:48 pm

1) It is possible to put an IOL with astigmatism, but ....

2) ... it would be relatively expensive. As far as I know, the Social Security System in our country is charged at approx. 1300,00 Euros (approx the same amount in US-$) per eye for standard IOLs, the astigmatism IOLs might be 200 or 300 Euros more, and ....

3) .... nearly every ophtalmologist would refuse to make an OP, which would not result in a better vision than before the OP. And how would he justify an operation (even privately paid) for a healthy eye, if there is no cataract?

I feel, there will be no chance for such an OP.

To make the answer complete:

An IOL would not induce astigmatism, it would be the cause of an astigmatism, or the picture on the retina would be affected as if the eye had astigmatism.

Why don't you try the effect of astigmatism with glasses - you even don't need a GOC combination.

Do you wear glasses, and what is your prescription? Just make the astigmatism correction stronger than needed - this requires a bit of calculation.

In 2014, you had this prescription:

Right eye -2.00 sph / - 1.00 cyl 114 deg this is a 'spherical equivalent' = average of - 2.50 +/- 0.50
Left eye - 2.00 sph / - 1.00 cyl 80 deg

I would , after 3 years nearly, recommend a new vision test.

Your old prescription, however, could translate into this one - with more astigmatism, and it might very well be, that the eye adapts to this, this would be equal to induscing astigmatism:

Right eye -1.50 / - 2.00 cyl this is a 'spherical equivalent' = average of - 2.50 / +/- 1.00
Left eye - 1.50 / - 2.00 cyl or = same myopia, astigmatism doubled - a slight increase in myopia would be helpful:

Right eye now: - 2.00 sph / - 2.00 cyl at 114 degrees
Left eye now - 2.00 sph / - 2.00 cyl at 80 degrees

There might be a light stress / strain in the eyes, but not too much, and after 3-4 days, the eyes should accept that. Reading might be more difficult then.

Return to Astigmatism