Welcome
Welcome to Vision and Spex, a forum similar to Eyescene

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Hyperopia progression

<<

Gerard

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Re: Hyperopia progression

My wife complaint about her eyesight so we went to the optician. Her prescription 6 mmonths ago was:
R: -0.25 -0.75
L: +0.25 -0.5

Today she came out
R: +0.25 -0.75
L: +0.50 -0.75

The opticien advised to keep her currwnt prescription as the new one would make her eyes 'lazy' and it would lead to more plus increases in the future and the small increase wasn't justified... Is this correct? I was surprised as the last time she went from left -0.25 to +0.25 which he was fine with.

My wife is 35
<<

soundmanpt

Post Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Gerard
First things first, to be clear I am not a doctor, but i'm really surprised that her doctor didn't prescribe her with new glasses. Even more so since she was complaining about her eyesight and that was her reason for getting her eyes examined in the first place. In your wife's case she barely even needs glasses based on her SPH numbers (+.25 / +.50) if that was her full prescription she probably wouldn't even need glasses. Even the stores that sell over the counter readers usually only start at +1.00 or in some places +1.25. The reason they start at that number is because they figure that anything less is hardly enough to wear glasses for. The biggest reason your wife needs glasses is because of her astigmatisms. She is now at -.75 for both eyes and that alone is already enough to require full time wear. You said that your wife only wears her glasses when she is at work in her office, but she doesn't wear them at home and on weekends. Thee reason she gets headaches isn't due to the +.25 /+.50 part of her prescription but rather due to her astigmatisms. Astigmatisms is effecting her eyes for more than just close office work. She shouldn't ever be driving a car without her glasses anymore. Her distance vision isn't that good without glasses. She really needs to start keeping her glasses on when she leaves her office and not take them off until she is headed for bed. Even watching TV can't be that clear for her without her glasses. And if she starts wearing her glasses full time the added bonus will be that she won't be getting headaches anymore. So if I were you I would suggest since you know what her eyes tested at getting her glasses on line. I have a feeling if she went in complaining about her eyes and glasses she can't be happy leaving with nothing being done.
<<

Gerard

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:51 am

I agree. Issue is that she really believes that her glasses are making her eyes lazy. Now she almost doesnt wear them. She takes them to the office but I wonder if she wears them. She seems to think she can train her eyes to avoid more hyperopia. I dont know if this is true but for sure she cant train her astygmatism. What will likely happen to her prescription if she doesnt wear her glasses? I see her doing lots and lots of close by things like her iphone and nails without glasses. Should it stabilize her presbyopia or not? Thanks
<<

Gerard

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:52 am

Sorry meant hyperopia not presbyopia. Her distance vision in the test was clearly better with the increased hyperopia
<<

davemenzie

Post Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi Gerard. Being long sighted myself I read you letter about your wife's vision.
The prescription is very small. Wait if that gets higher. I have varifocals + 2.00/ 4.50.
Without glasses I get cronic headaches. The only h elps close work but initially the distance vision with those lens has blurry vision but this goes over time as they adjust also have a full pair of +4.50 which I now wear full time. The distance is very slightly blurred.I have bought, on the internet a pair of +6 & now wear them for reading always. Soon I feel I will need an increase of the whole range, but my wife likes my magnified eyes!
Dave Menzies
<<

Gerard

Post Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:02 am

I know she has a tiny prescription but she went in a year from R -0.25 to +0.50 and L -0.5 to +0.25. I will be curious to see how it develops and what her next prescription in 6-12 months is. At what prescription she will feek she really need glasses for close by: +1 in combination with the -0.75 astygmatism?
<<

Gerard

Post Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Any thoughts? Here in the office I notice quite a lot of young people with low plus prescriptions who dont wear them apart from computer work. But I think astigmatism in combination with some plus makes it more logic to wear also when not doing computer work. I have a very low plus in my right eye but significant asigmatism (-2.5) and really struggle both close and far away but am certain this is due to the astigmatism and not the plus
<<

soundmanpt

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Gerard
Yes those young people that you see in your office that only wear their glasses while they are on computers is because their glasses most likely only have a plus reading prescription in them and likely no astigmatism correction. That is the problem with your wife, she is only looking at the plus number and ignoring the astigmatism completely when in her case that number is far more important than the plus number. Most people will tell you that having -.75 for astigmatism is actually worse than having a +1.50 for reading. You also mentioned that one reason she doesn't wear her glasses more often is because she thinks they will make her eyes lazy. The truth is wearing her glasses should relax her eyes which is a good thing. Straining is never good thing and if anything makes her eyes feel much more tired because she is forcing them to work so much harder. I'm nt sure what you can say or do to convince her but she is really only making her life more difficult by being so head strong. If you could convince her to just try wearing her glasses full time for 2 weeks I would bet she would see how much better her eyes would feel.
<<

bracesfan

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:33 am

Gerard
It´s pretty simple. You just don´t have neither hyperopia nor presbyopia. Your correction (very low plus with -2,5 astigmatism) means that you are in fact myopic. Your correction can be put down like this: +0,5 cyl -2,5 at (let´s say) 0 degrees but also like this: -2,0 cyl +2,5 at (let´s say) 90 degrees. It means that you are in one axe slightly hyperopic but in the other one significantly myopic. Let the prescription be in either way, the difference between axes (2,5 D of astigmatism) is so big that it´s just impossible to see clearly at any distance.
<<

Gerard

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi Bracesfan, thats really interesting and I have never looked at it this way. Your first prescription I get but not the 2nd one: could you clarify? Also, being quite significantly astigmatic, how would this compare for close by with somebody that has -2.5 in sphere? Over the years my myopia went down from say -1.75 to +0.25 and the opticien said this is due to age and me not being able to accomodate. He thinks I will slowly but steadily require more plus: how would you call this phenomena? He also said that there is no reason to believe my astigmatism will change, is this correct?
<<

Gerard

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:52 pm

If it helps my axis R is 60, left 110
<<

bracesfan

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 am

Gerard
I hadn´t known your age before. Now it seems to me that you are somewhere around 40-45.
You are myopic all your life. Due to your aging you became presbyopic as well (presbyopia is stiffening of eye lens and gradual loose of accomodation). It means that a myop is able to read without glasses for near longer than an emetrop). When your presbyopia reaches your myopic correction you get plus.
But it has nothing to do with astigmatism. Astigmatism is a problém when your eyeball or cornea isn´t pefectly round. The eyeball then has two perpendicular axes and each of them has different correction. So you can write the prescription in two ways. It seems you now have +0,25 with -2,5 cylinder. So +0,25 is in one axe (150 degrees), -2,25 in the second one (60 degrees). You must do the math: +0,25 -2,5 = -2,25. 150 and 60 degrees - axes are perpendicular. So one way of prescription is +0,25 cyl. -2,5 at 60 degrees. But you can put it down with the second axe firstly: -2,25 cyl. +2,5 at 150 degrees. I showed it for your right eye, axes in your left one are at 20 and 110 degrees ...
<<

Gerard

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:38 am

Thanks a lot for this. So I have this plus in my glasses which I wear permanently. As you say its preabyopia and not hyperipia will I reach a point in my prescription I can't use them for far away? Ie what if it becomes +1 at some point, will I be able to wear my glasses constantly or only when I am reading close by?
<<

Gerard

Post Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:29 pm

Any feedback please?
<<

Gerard

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:43 am

I feel the plus in my glasses should be a bit higher for close by but then I dont see well far away: at what difference between far away and close prescription it makes sense to start thinking about multi or bi-focals?
Previous

Return to Hyperopia / Presbyopia